Thursday, February 28, 2008

London Calling Part Three...

The two guys I worked with in the UK were Steve and Holy (pronounced Holly). Steve was a citizen of the UK and Holy was a Chinese National in the UK on a work visa. Steve is my age and Holy was older than me. Holy actually lived in London with his wife and kid, but since the commute to Bracknell from London was so long, he rented a room in town and lived there during the week. He would only see his family on the weekends.

Holy said it was no big deal because "My kid is at school all week anyway so who cares?"

Holy does not drink. Holy does not stay up late. Holy was quite the opposite of me.

Imagine my surprise then when Steve and I decide to go out for dinner and drinks one night after work and Holy shows up.

Steve and his girlfriend Claire get me at my hotel and Holy is already with them. We head back to Reading. It was (surprise surpise) raining, but I was with people who knew where they were going, so I didn't get stuck in the rain or put the fear of darkened alley mugging/rape into the hearts of the citizenry.
First place we went was Nando's, a portuguese restaurant specializing in chicken. So much fun. Steve, Claire and I talked throughout dinner. We had such a good time.
Holy ate quietly.
We decided to hit some pubs. The first one we went to was called The Hobgoblin. It was glorious. Cramped and crowded. Everywhere from the walls to ceiling were covered with coasters of every beer they have ever served. I was really struck with a feeling of New England, only because this bar felt it could have just as easily been in Burlington Vermont full of UVMers. We found a free table and Steve and Claire told me how they had met, and talked about their families.
Holy doesn't drink so he just sat there quietly.
I started to feel bad because we were having a great time and it was obvious that Holy was not. The three of us definitely wanted to stay out and probably close some pubs, but it was becoming apparent that it wasn't going to happen.
After our drink, Steve and Claire took us to "their" bar. This is where they normally go. Steve was actually asked to be the DJ that night. It was Goth Night and apparently he is a favorite at that night.

This bar was....well anyone from my Bridgewater State days will know what I mean when I say that this place was the Julios of Reading.

A huge dive bar. I fucking loved it. right down to the 55 year old bar maid who looked like she had been smoking as soon as she was able to light a cigarette. All of Steve and Claires friends were there.
One of the friends was a guy named Ollie. He was a photographer and had given himself a project. Every day for one year he would take a picture of a different person. He wanted a 365 day portfolio, just to see if he could do it. I was the lucky participant that evening.

Oh yea, they had a foosball table. So I am just bullshitting with Steve and his friends when Holy notices the foosball table. His eyes light up and he starts playing. Then I start playing.

Holy and I versus Steve and his Friend Dee. Holy is awful. I am buzzed and mouthing off.

"Holy I swear to fuck if you let another goal by, I am going to tell our boss that you are stealing and have you fired so fucking fast it will make your head spin."
It was a great team building excercise.
We ended up losing surprisingly.
After that it was fairly obvious that Holy was spent so we called it a night. I was dropped off and the next day I am the first one in the office. Steve calls in sick (pussy) and Holy was over an hour late.
Those boys just couldn't hang.

Coming up:

Part 4...London.

No comments: